Turkey Pumpkin Meat Loaf Recipe – Fill your little ghouls with wholesome food before trick or treating
This is a great meatloaf recipe for the fall that is both hearty and delicious. This recipe uses the healthy ingredients of ground turkey and pumpkin to make a delicious recipe. Giving your kids a full meal before trick or treating will give them a energy boost and a full stomach will discourage gorging on their pillow case full of candy.
If the idea of baking a pumpkin is too difficult for your busy schedule, I suggest doing this ahead of time or purchase pre-cooked pumpkin.
Turkey Pumpkin Meatloaf Ingredients
1.2 Pounds Ground Turkey (1 package of Costco Foster Farms Ground Turkey Meat)
3/4 Cup Baked Kobucha Pumpkin (diced) – May substitute with canned pumpkin slices
1/2 Cup Melissa’s Produce Clean Snacks with Flax and Cranberry ( may substitute from any granola mix) – Grind in food procesor
1 Cup Asiago Cheese (1/2 inch cubes) / (Divided)
1/4 Cup Asiago Cheese (shredded) – I used Lake Country Asiago from Costco
1/2 Brown Onion (diced)
4 Mini Sweet peppers (diced)
6 Fresh Basil Leaves (chopped)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Dry Oregano
Pumpkin BBQ Sauce Ingredients
1 Tablespoon Butter – I used Kerry Gold
1/4 Cup Baked Kobucha Pumpkin
3/4 cup BBQ Sauce (make your own or your favorite bottled) – I used Chris N Pitt’s Original
1 Shot Bourbon (optional) – I used Buffalo Trace Hancock Reserve bourbon
Pumpkin BBQ Sauce Procedure
1) In pan, melt butter at medium-high heat
2) Add cooked pumpkin and cook until browned
3) Add BBQ sauce, cook until boiling
4) Mash pumpkin with a potato masher until smooth
5) (optional) Add shot of bourbon, cook for an additional 1 minute
Turkey Pumpkin Meat Loaf Procedure
1) Warm oven to 350 Degrees
2) Place diced cooked pumpkin into ground turkey and gently incorporate into a mix
3) Grind Clean Snax or Granola style product in a food processor. Add to the mixture and gently fold it into the mixture.
4) Mix ground turkey with all of the other meatloaf ingredients. Again be careful not to overwork the meatloaf mixture. You are looking for an airy feel.
5) Grease Pyrex pan with olive oil.
6) Spread meatloaf mixture into a Pyrex baking pan. I prefer a thin meatloaf, so I use a wide pan. Thin meatloaf slices make for easy sandwiches the next day. For this recipe, I also like a thin meatloaf because it allows a greater meat to sauce ratio. Note: Thin meatloaf will cook faster.
7) Cover top of meatloaf with Pumpkin BQQ sauce and then drizzle over with plain BBQ sauce
8) Cover with shredded cheese and cheese cubes
9) Bake for 45 Minutes at 350 degrees (uncovered). If using a deeper pan, cook for 1 hour.
10) Serve Turkey Pumpkin Meatloaf with fresh vegetables
Halloween Food Ideas
Beer Review: Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Directions: Freaky Fruit Decorations
Recipe: Pizza Sprouts
Recipe: Enchilada Stack
Recipe: Making the Perfect Pie Crust