Bacon Wrapped Hatch Chile Cheese Hot Dog Recipe
The best Hot Dog you will ever eat..Hatch Chile is the secret
Bacon is awesome. Bacon wrapped hot dogs rock. If you throw a little cheese in there you have awesomeness. Add some fire roasted hatch chile into that bacon wrapped stuffed hot dog and you have a little slice of heaven on earth.
This is an easy recipe for bacon wrapped Hatch chile cheese hot dogs. The secret ingredient is the roasted Hatch chile from my friends at Melissa’s Produce, they add a special flavor layer.
Looking for Roasted Hatch Chiles? Check out the roasting dates
- 1 Large Melissa’s Produce Hatch Chile
- Hot Dogs (Chicken, Turkey, Beef) – whatever fits your fancy
- Bacon (same thing, thick cut, turkey, maple)
- 1/2 ounce Colby Jack ounce cheese per hot dog. If you like spicy, then pepper jack, Classy? Smoked Gouda.
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
1)Roast the Hatch chile on a open flame until 70% of the surface is charred. Remove chile from heat, scrape off the char and de-seed. Slice chilies into 1/4 inch strips.
2) Slice hot dogs lengthwise, cutting through 80% + of the hot dogs circumference. Note: it is easy to overdue the slicing, resulting in a limp weenie that can barely support cheese a hatch chile. Use caution with the weenie slicing process.
3) Slice cheese into long strips, about 1/4 inch thick. Sometimes you will have longer or short strips to match the remaining space in the hot dog.
4) Stuff the Hot Dog with the Hatch chile strips.
4) Starting at the tip of the hot dog, wrap the bacon around the hot dog. Utilize a couple tooth picks to hold the bacon in place.
Note: Depending on the girth and length of your hot dog, you will need 1-2 slices of bacon to make a complete wrap around the dog.
Note: you want full coverage to ensure minimal cheese leaks out of the wrapped dog.
5) Warm your pan to med-high heat and add olive oil. When pan is hot, add the bacon wrapped hot dogs. Sear each side for 1 minute to firm up the bacon.
6) Reduce heat to medium-low and let the hot dogs cook through. Do not cover the pan, or it will encourage the cheese to melt faster.
Pro Tip! : Place the cheese in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to cooking. colder cheese takes longer to melt, giving the hot dogs a chance to cook before the cheese turns viscous.
7) When the bacon wrapped hot dogs are almost done, remove the tooth picks and cook the remaining sides until the bacon is crispy.
8) Serve alone or with grilled onions on a bun. I am a purist, so I eat it alone.