Recipe for Pumpkin Soup Recipe Served in a Pumpkin!
This is great pumpkin soup recipe for Halloween or Thanksgiving using pumpkin as the ingredient and the serving vessel. This recipe and presentation will wow your friends and family. Presentation is almost as important as the taste. With that said, this pumpkin soup recipe tastes delicious.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Soup Recipe Served in a pumpkin
2 Medium Baking Pumpkins, these are the small ones in the produce section
1 Large Pumpkin (for the bowl)
1 Cup Water
2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 1/2 Cups Half and Half
½ Cup Real Maple Syrup
½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon ginger
½ Teaspoon Salt
(may substitute dry spices for 2 teaspoons of pumpkin Pie spice mix)
Procedure for Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin
1) Preheat over to 400 degrees
2) (optional) Skin the pumpkins with peeler. If using potato peeler, strike down on the pumpkin with the slicer. If you skip this step, you will need to scope the pumpkin meat from the skin while it is hot. Pick your evil.
3) Slice baking pumpkins into large chunks and place on olive oil greased pan
4) Bake pumpkin for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5) While pumpkins bake, combine the water, chicken broth, half and half, syrup, and dry seasonings into a large pot. Let the ingredients warm on Low heat. Ideally the liquids will reach a low boil by the time the pumpkins are ready
6) After the pumpkin is soft, puree the pumpkin in a food processor. Add puree to the soup pot.
7) (optional) Reserve, ½ cup of cooked pumpkin for pumpkin chunks in the soup.
8) Cook pumpkin soup on Medium-low heat for 60 minutes uncovered.
9) While the pumpkin soup simmers, cut a hole in the large pumpkin. The hole should be large enough to comfortably ladle out the soup. Scoop out the seeds and fibers from the pumpkin cavity.
10) When soup is ready, pour the soup into the empty pumpkin. Serve with extra half and half drizzled over the pumpkin soup.
After you are done with the soup, you can turn the pumpkin bowl into a Jack 0 Lantern or slice it up for baking.