Healthy Chicken Recipe – Easy Grilled Chicken Fajitas with Mexican Beer Marinade
Fun weekday chicken recipe with the help of beer
This is a easy grilled chicken fajitas that you can prepare quickly! The secret is the Mexican dark beer, like Modelo Negro marinade that adds flavor depth to the chicken. I tried the original recipe from myrecipes.com, which originally published in cooking light. This is my personal adaptation of this recipe to match my tastes and calorie goal.
Portion Control for Weight Loss
Lean and skinless chicken breast contains only 142 calories and 4 ounces of fat in a four ounce portion. Keep in mind that a four ounce portion of chicken should be about the size of your palm or a computer mouse. Consider a standard chicken breast from Costco. But how many ounces in a Costco Zachy Farms chicken breast? Each pack weighs 1.5 pounds, so each breast weighs 12 ounces. This is three USDA chicken portions. Do don’t fool yourself into extra calories. I personally cut my Costco Zachy Farm chicken breast in half.
Recipe: Easy Grilled Chicken Fajitas with Mexican Beer Marinade
Recipe Serves 4
- 1 bottle dark Mexican beer
- 1 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- fresh lime juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1.5 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Sliced against the grain into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/4 cup thickly sliced onion
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt alternative like Lo-Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) low fat flour tortillas
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Low Fat Cheese (optional and to taste)
Right when you get home, combine the soy sauce, lime juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic into a large (like Gallon size) ziplock bag. Shack it up and then add a bottle of the beer and the add the chicken.
Let the chicken marinate for 1 hour while you do your daily chores like mail, bills, get the kids squared away, check your Facebook status, or get in a quickie.
Turn your grill up to high with lid closed to let the grill get hot. Wipe the grill with olive oil using paper towels and tongs.
Coat onions and peppers with a light drizzle of olive oil and then place on the grill on high heat (they should cook a total of 6 minutes, or until done.
Drain the chicken completely and discard marinade.
Cook the chicken on the grill 2-3 minutes each side on high-heat (or until the meat is firm). If the chicken begins to burn, turn the heat to medium. If your grill has wide grates, use caution when flipping.If you have your game together, you should have nice grill lines on the meat.
Serve Chicken, onions and peppers on low fat flour tortillas and garnish to your tastes with salsa, sour cream, cheese (per your personal calorie limits)