Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Goat Cheese Spread
Easy Party Appetizer, using Jam that you already have in your refrigerator
This is a fun and very easy party appetizer dish that I spun up a couple weeks ago when I had some friends over. The week prior I made Spicy Ojai Pixie Jelly from scratch and use this as the inspiration for my recipe for sweet and spicy goat cheese spread.
Adding sweet, spicy or tangy jelly to goat cheese will act to round out the flavors of goat cheese. This is important as some people find the flavor of goat cheese to be too strong. The combination of nuts, sweet/spicy jelly and goat cheese create a multi-layer flavor experience that will impress your guests.
Note: If you do not have spicy jelly, just use your favorite jelly and add in finely minced jalapenos. Better yet make your own spicy jelly.
Sweet and Spicy Goat Cheese Dip
- 1 Log goat cheese.
- 3 Tablespoons spicy Ojai Pixie Jelly (or any other jelly you wish to use)
- 1/2 cup crushed candied nuts – (separated in 1/2) – Use the candied nuts that are sold for salads. You can also make your own.
- Garnish: Baby Basil and roasted red pepper
1) Mix goat cheese, Jelly and 1/2 of the candied nuts in the serving bowl until soft and well integrated
2) Gently spread jam over the top of the cheese spread
3) Top the spread with the remaining nuts
4) Garnish spread with with roasted red pepper and baby basil leaf
Serve the goat cheese spread with crackers, crunchy bread, wheat thins, triscuits or whatever you found in your holiday gift basket. Some of your guests will not know it is goat cheese until you tell them.
Note: you can actually toast this spread in the toaster oven. Prepare this dish in an oven safe serving bowl an place in the toaster oven at 400 degrees on the broil setting for 5-10 minutes. Be sure to carefully monitor the spread, you are looking for the nuts to toast. Caution: use oven mits to remove your sweet and spicy goat cheese spread from the toaster oven.