Although the OC Fair is known for carnival rides, concerts, and hypnotists, most people come for the fair food! The OC Fair returns July 12th to the delight of Southern California foodies! Judging by the response that I got from last year’s Gastronomic Misbehavin’ at the OC Fair article, I am not alone in my love for fair food. The OC Fair is something like a gastronomic migration, all the foodies return to gorge themselves on foot long corn dogs, deep fried goodies before returning to their normal diets. It’s o.k. to admit that you ate the Krispy Kreme chicken sandwich at Charlie Chicken last year, I won’t judge. 😉
Win two tickets to the OC Fair, enter at the bottom of this post
New Fair Food Items for 2013!
Charlie Chicken – The devious mind that invented the deep fried thin mint is back with a fresh batch of sultry creations including Krispy Kreme Sloppy Joe, deep-fried bacon wrapped pickles, waffle dogs on a stick and deep fried cookie dough!
Bacon-a-Fair – After a successful run with their pork-a-bello last year, their new creations include truffle Gouda bacon fries, bacon beer (root beer), and their Wild Boar on a stick. Hells Yeah!>
Pink’s Hot Dogs – The Los Angeles hot dog sensation is back at the OC fair with a new creation called the Ghirardelli hot dog, made with cream cheese, honey mustard, bacon and dark chocolate.
Biggy’s Meat Market – Not says food fun like carnal cuts of meat on a stick. The 17-inch big rib is back, along with the 2-foot-long smoked sausage and 24-ounces of chicken breast on a stick called the “Bix Chix on a Stick”. Sorry but my inner 13-year-old self is snickering right now . Although you won’t be laughing if you attempt to eat these on your own…bring a friend as backup.
Other exciting flavors new to the fair: Deep fried strawberries, deep-fried lobster fried bacon ice cream..say what? See a the Food Guide on the OC Fair Website for complete listing of food and vendors. Yes there is food for Vegans as well http://ocfair.com/2013/entertainment/FindFairfood.asp
Tom’s Foodie Blog advice for eating fair food:
1) Set a food budget $ Fair Food is obviously pay per item, so I recommend bringing at $20 per person to get full. If you are a pig like me and like to eat multiple items and enjoy a frosty beer, then bring $40. It is best to play it on the safe side 😉
2) Your Momma was right, SHARE, SHARE, SHARE! I strongly encourage family style sharing of fair food. Bring your friends, family or neighbors to share in the food. The best experiences are had when everyone orders something different. This group sharing creates awesome memories and helps avoid premature fried food burn out.
3) Don’t be greedy Nothing is worse than blowing out your gut after the first order of deep fried Klondike. Quickly learn advice #2
4) Try something new! Yes it is tempting to get the turkey leg every year. Instead, I highly encourage you to try one of the new items, perhaps wild boar on a stick? Since you are sharing, you can still get your turkey leg.
5) Order Wine and Craft Beer If you partake in alcohol, skip the Bud Light and look for the craft beer. there are several places that serve micro-brews or high-quality beer. Better yet, stop at the wine courtyard and get a glass of the award winning wines! Doctors’ orders…
6) Wear loose clothing – you know why and again I won’t judge if I see you in spandex Win free two free tickets to the fair, see the bottom for rules
Celebrity Chef Demonstrations
- July 20th, 4 p.m. – Chef Jaime Martin del Campo and Ramiro Arvizu – owners and chefs of the award-winning La Casita Mexicana Restaurant.
- August 1st, 4 p.m. – Michael – Award-winning chef and owner of Bottega in Napa Valley and Coqueto in San Francisco
See the OC Fair Website for more information about celebrity chef demonstrations: http://ocfair.com/2013/entertainment/other_events.asp
Local Chefs from Orange County’s top restaurants will also be giving culinary demonstrations. You just might learn how they make your favorite dish. Keep posted to http://ocfair.com/2013/dailyschedules/schedules.asp for the participating chefs and dates.
Food Truck Fare at the OC Fair
Every Thursday from noon-10 p.m. the best food trucks from Orange County and Los Angeles descend on the O.C. Fair. During the O.C. Fair the trucks are located within the fair, so admission to the fair is required. Prices for dishes vary by truck. See the complete schedule of participating food trucks http://ocfair.com/2013/entertainment/other_events.asp Almost there ;), two free ticket giveaway on bottom
The kitchen challenge is perhaps one of my favorite events at the O.C. Fair. You will get to watch local professional chefs square off against each other in a live cooking challenge (think of the television show Chopped)
- July 18th – Meatheads
- July 25th – Time to make donuts – I will be the judge for this contest!
- August 1st -Firehouse Chefs
- August 8th – Vegan
FREE TICKET GIVEAWAY TO THE OC FAIR
Enter to wine (2) tickets to the OC Fair, by using the rafflecopter app below. I will be annoncing a winner Monday, July 15th. Please see the rules of the giveaway. The tickets were provided to me by the O.C. Fair to give away, but the thoughts expressed are strictly my own, based on years of over eating at the fair. Use this link if the Rafflecopter app does not load below a Rafflecopter giveaway
Double your chances of winning tickets by entering my wife’s contest for (2) Free tickets http://danisdecadentdeals.com/2013/07/07/oc-fair-free-tickets-giveaway-2013/