Healthy Bean Salad Recipe
Like me, you probably gained at least five pounds over the holidays. Every year I shock my system to a healthier state, by temporarily eliminating red meat and increasing my intake of plant based dishes. For me, I really like using beans as a way of substituting that “heavy “stomach feel that meat provides. Beans are great for you, they are high in fiber, lean protein, and vitamins. This Healthy Bean Salad Recipe is delicious and quite addictive.
This recipe uses steamed beans from Melissa’s Produce, sold in vacuum bags. This recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prepare.
Healthy Bean Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Package, Melissa’s Produce garbanzo beans*
- 1 Package, Melissa’s Produce kidney beans*
- 1 Package, Melissa’s Produce blackeye beans*
- *may substitute with your favorite canned beans
- 1/2 Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Bunch, cilantro, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, thinly sliced /deseeded (optional)
- 1 Cup, frozen or canned corn
- 1/4 Cup, soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup, apple cider vinegar (divided)
- 1/4 Cup, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon, Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Teaspoon, toasted sesame oil
- 1 Teaspoon, Sriracha (optional)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons, garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon, course ground pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon, chili powder
Healthy Bean Salad Recipe Procedure
1) Soak thinly sliced Persian cucumber in 1/2 of Apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, pepper.Let soak for at least 10 minutes.
1) Drain and rinse beans, add to large bowl
2) Add red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno (optional) to bowl, mix
4) Drain and roast corn in a pan with oil, until slightly browned or charred. Add to bowl and mix
5) Add soy sauce, remainder of apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, toasted sesame oil, garlic powder, pepper, salt and chili powder, and Sriracha (optional). Mix thoroughly, but gently.
6) Healthy bean salad recipe is best if refrigerated a full 24 hours.