Top 15 Alternate ways Turkey Recipes
Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes from Smoked to Turducken
Are you are bored of the standard oven roasted Thanksgiving turkey recipe? So am I.
I get tired of overcooked meat or eating dinner at 10 pm because the turkey was under cooked. Perhaps you are tired of Aunt Mable’s under seasoned turkey, that must be trained to do the backstroke in gravy before it is edible. If you have the guts to try an alternate turkey preparation, here are a set of ideas that I found on the internet.
Here are my Top 15 recommendations for alternate Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes from tame to turkeys gone wild. Google Gooble, show your giblets!
#15. Citrus Roasted Turkey Recipe – This is an up-spin on the classic roasted turkey. The citrus will add flavor and juciness. This is an approachable upgrade, even for the most timid of cooks.
- Recipe from Melissa’s Produce http://www.melissas.com/Recipes/Recipes/Entrees/Citrus-Roasted-Turkey.aspx
#14. Maple Brine Turkey Recipe – Add flavor and juiciness by bringing your turkey days before Thanksgiving. The maple adds sweet flavors and a nice glaze
- Recipe from Haute Apple Pie http://hauteapplepie.com/2011/11/08/thanksgiving-potluck-maple-brined-turkey/
- Food Network http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dan-smith-and-steve-mcdonagh/maple-brined-turkey-recipe/index.html
#13. Stack of Braised Legs – Suppose your family wants an upscale version of the County Fair favorite. This version is juicy, tender and classy.
- Recipe from Bon Appettit http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/braised-turkey-legs
#12. Deconstructed Turkey – Cooking a whole turkey is difficult because the thigh and breast cook at different temps. Breaking down the turkey and cooking them separately makes for a shortened cook time and ability to prepare different recipes from the same bird.
- Recipe from Bay Area Bites http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2013/11/13/deconstructed-turkey-a-succulent-alternative-to-a-thanksgiving-classic/
#11. Bacon Covered Turkey – Your turkey will never be dry with this recipe! Get a couple pounds of bacon for this beast.
- Recipe from The Daily Meal http://www.thedailymeal.com/bacon-wrapped-turkey
- Food.com http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-wrapped-roasted-turkey-341050
#10. Smoked Turkey - Many folks swear that cooking your turkey low and slow makes the best turkey. Smoking your turkey makes a juicy and flavorful turkey, especially when you use Apple and lemon wood.
- Recipe from The Domestic Man http://thedomesticman.com/2013/10/01/perfect-smoked-turkey/
- Butterball: http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/smoke-a-turkey
#9. Deep Fried Turkey To me, this is the ultimate turkey. This method can be little dangerous if you make stupid mistakes. With a little planning, friends and family will be asking you to make the turkey for years to come.
- Recipe from Toms Foodie Blog http://tomsfoodieblog.com/2013/11/14/so-you-want-to-deep-fry-a-turkey-for-thanksgiving-a-complete-how-to-guide/
#8. Rotisserie Turkey - This is an interesting preparation since the turkey is so big. I liked this preparation, from Dad Cooks Dinner. He makes it look easy.
- Recipe from Dad Cooks Dinner: http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2010/11/rotisserie-turkey-dry-brined-with.html
#7. Sous Vide Turkey If you are cool enough to own an sous vide, then either you are a food snob or a chef. Sous Vided poultry always comes out VERY juicy.
- Recipe from Williams and Sonoma http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/voltaggios-sous-vide-turkey.html
#6. Black Mole Turkey – Mix Thanksgiving up with , this classic recipe from Mexico. Sweet, savory and complex flavors of Mole Negro will amp up your turkey breast.
- Recipe from Pilar Cabarera http://pilarcabrera.com.mx/en/recipe-black-mole-turkey/
#5. Chinese-American Fusion Turkey - This approach is completely foreign to me, but definitely worth a try
- Recipe from L.A. Times Food http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-chinese-american-stuffing,0,6958776.story?page=2#axzz2lhtzBgJt
#4. Peking Turkey – If the fusion style was not crazy enough, how about Peking style! This recipe has a lot of ingredients and results in beautiful lacquer over the turkey skin.
- Recipe from New York Magazine http://nymag.com/listings/recipe/bbq-peking-turkey/
#3. Turducken – Perhaps this is the best of the Thanksgiving Food porn dishes. A duck, stuffed inside of a chicken, stuffed inside of a turkey. Love it! Both Thomas Jefferson and George Washington served this dish to their guests.
- Recipe from Turduckenrecipes.com http://www.turduckenrecipes.com/cooking-a-turducken/
#2. Trash Can Turkey – Larry the Cable Guy would be proud if you made this turkey. Using a clean metal trashcan you cook the turkey with radiant heat. Get’er done!
- Recipe from Trashcanturkey.com http://thetrashcanturkey.com/
- RV Cooking Show http://www.rvcookingshow.com/component/content/article/19-recipes/52-trash-can-turkey
#1. Turbrisket - Since Hanukkah falls on Thanksgiving for the first time since the 1800’s and wont happen again until several millenniums from now. The turbrisket won the #1 spot. Turkey, stuffed with brisket and latke stuffing. Hey Now!
- LA Times Food http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-thanksgiving-hanukkah-thanksgivukkah-celebrate-with-turbrisket-20131122,0,2MapleTur823575.story#axzz2lhLT9WUg
See my other Thanksgiving Recipes:
See My Restaurant Reviews
Latest posts by Tom Holmberg (see all)
- Happy Hour Like a Kardashian at Lark Creek - April 18, 2014
- Recipe – Making and Canning Ojai Pixie Tangerine Jelly - April 10, 2014
- El Toro Bravo Tortilleria – One of Orange County’s Hidden Gems - April 7, 2014
- Comme Ca – Social Hour at Las Vegas Cosmopolitan - April 2, 2014
- Guadalupe Valley Wine – Is Baja Mexico the next must visit wine region? - April 1, 2014