UPDATE – This event was a complete disaster! No one should ever pay for tickets to an event operated like this. All promises made by the organizer flopped. The Gourmet Food Trucks Lost Money and the Visitors felt ripped off.
I recently had the opportunity to interview the founder and organizer of the “OC Foodie Fest”, James Foxall . Last year’s event received some mixed reviews due to a number of failings in the organization of the event. Although this year, the “OC Foodie Fest” is back like a fighter who has learned from the school of hard knocks. James was passionate in telling me that he has listened to all the feedback and took it to heart. He expressed a desire to improve the attendees experiences, “our goal was to keep the food truck lines under 20 minutes.” So how do the organizers plan to accomplish this feat?
Improved Formula for keeping the Food Truck Lines Short:
- Doubling the amount of food vendors, yet retaining the same number of attendees. There will be over 75+ food trucks, 25+ restaurants and food vendors.
- Adding a bigger entertainment line-up, including bands, mini Angel training camp, food eating contest, cooking contest, car show and don’t forget the bud light girls are hosting a beer pong contest. James noted, “This festival environment will help spread out the crowd instead of jumping from one food truck line to the next and going home.”
- Adding restaurants and farmer’s market vendors to provide more food options
- Expanding the Beer Garden to the size of half a football field
Speaking of the Beer Gardens, James indicated that they are really amping up the beer garden by expanding it to the size of half a football field. This year’s beer garden will be sponsored and operated by Aramark and Budweiser, bringing a level of experience and professionalism to it’s operation. The Beer Garden will also feature food service from , Top Class Pizza, SuperMex, Aramark, and even some of the food trucks like Bacon Mania and Tornado Potato. James indicated that he wants to WOW the guests with the beer garden and make it a “festival within a festival.” There will even be a DJ in the Beer Garden. Woot Woot! Fist Pump Jersey Shore Style!
Speaking of keeping cool and hydrated, the biggest complaints I heard last year was the lack of cool shade, seating and water. This year the follow measures have been added to ensure you are comfortable.
- More umbrella covered tables
- Added a giant water mister on the giant “A” of Anaheim Stadium to cool off
- Added a total of 6 drink stations, that will be “sufficiently stocked with enough water to handle the crowd” (I will be monitoring and reporting back on this)
James indicated that they are trying to support the community and use this event to springboard a couple of charities. Some of the charities supported by the OC Foodie Fest include:
- Second Harvest Food Bank,
- Feed the Hungry,
- Hosting an outing for 500 marines to a baseball game.
- “Evocal” Artist Troop
***Help the Second Harvest Food Bank and yourself. Bring (5) Cans of food and receive a ticket to a future Angels game. If you go to 99 cent store, it will only cost you $5, cheaper than purchasing a game ticket***
Getting There and Away
If you Drive
- On site parking is $8 (cheaper than last year) and $5 for off site parking.
- Use the Orangewood exit for the main entrance, this entrance has the most parking
- Need an alternative? Take the Douglas Exit
Eco Friendly Alternatives
- Take the Train! There is a station at Angels Stadium
- Take your bike! Just follow the Santa Ana River Trail to the stadium
The Contest Winner Is……..WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!
The Winner of the Free Early Entry Tickets to the OC Foodie Fest is Karen Carter! Congratulations! Woot Woot! You have been notified by Facebook Messenger with instructions to claim your free tickets.
If you didn’t win tickets, I’m sorry gorgeous, but I will be having other contests soon:) Thanks for playing and I really appreciate you visiting my food blog <3. Please visit again, I will be having more food related giveaways in the near future
Latest posts by Tom Holmberg (see all)
- Sneak Peek of Provisions Market in Old Town Orange - May 23, 2013
- P.F. Chang’s New Summer Menu and $50 Gift Card Giveaway - May 20, 2013
- Meltdown on Kitchen Nightmares and Social Media: Lessons from Amy’s Baking Company - May 14, 2013
- Event: Taste of the Nation, Laguna Beach – June 2nd, 2013 - May 14, 2013
- Last Minute Mother’s Day Restaurant Ideas (Orange County) - May 10, 2013